Clint Eastwood Director Budget ? How come Clint Eastwood’s movies as a director are always done under-budget and under-scheduled? Morgan Freeman and Clint Eastwood on “Invictus”.
So he knows what he’s doing. The best example of why his movies come in on-time and under budget? His reputation for doing scenes in a single take (two at most) precedes him.
Actors know the rep, and prepare accordingly, as Matt Damon attests:
I was playing a South African [in Invictus] and that’s a really hard accent to do. … It’s something that just required a lot of practice and I treated it like a job. I tested that [Eastwood one-take] theory on Day 1 of shooting.
We did the first take. It went pretty well. Clint says, ‘cut, print, check the gate,’ which means we’re gonna move on. And I said, ‘Hey boss, maybe you think we could get one more?’ He just turned and goes, ‘Why? Do you want to waste everybody’s time?’
Eastwood is not casual about directing, but he knows what he wants. He uses the same crew over and over, and they know each other’s rhythms. He’s a director who lets the members of his team do their job. For instance, he doesn’t stay in the room while his editor is working. Clint watches the footage, he and the editor discuss the best ways to put it together, then Mr. Eastwood goes off to play golf, coming back toward the end of the day to see how sequences are shaping up.
Other directors might hover at their editor’s shoulder,
but that’s not Clint Eastwood’s style. Which explains why his features are completed without muss or fuss. His seasoned professionals are allowed to do their work without endless second-guessing from their director.
Addendum: Clint was in a round table discussion a few years ago with other A-list directors. The other participants described how they spent long, grueling days in post, working shoulder-to-shoulder with their editor(s). Twelve, fourteen hour days.
Clint gets asked the same question, and says “Well, we sit down in the morning and go over shots, talk about the sequence. Then I go play a round of golf, grab something to eat, come back in the late afternoon to see how it’s shaping up, look at the new footage that’s been cut. We talk some more and I give him some notes.” The others were dumbfounded that he didn’t sit there micro-managing for twelve hours straight. Clint Eastwood Director Budget ?
MYSTIC RIVER (2007) Clint Eastwood
- The story begins with a group of kids named Jimmy, Sean and Dave playing baseball on the side of the road in their residential area.
- Then, they are approached by a mysterious man who is said to be a ‘police’. The man ordered Dave to get into his car and drive away. Why Dave? I don’t even know.. destiny maybe.
- Dave managed to escape after 4 days of being locked up by the unfortunate pedophile. Dave’s return to the family, the old Dave is not the current one.
……….30 years passed……..
- Jimmy’s 19-year-old daughter named Katie was found dead in the bush at their home.
- To make a story, on the last night Katie was seen alive, Dave came home covered in blood. Coincidence? Maybe.
- Sean is destined to become a detective who has to handle Katie’s homicide case. So the investigation was carried out. Suspects are interrogated. Among the suspects are Katie’s boyfriend Brendan, and also Dave.
- The killer can be caught at the end of the story. But you will feel very uncomfortable with the ending of this story. Feeling angry is also there.
- What is Mystic River? Mystic River refers to a large river nearby. The river that contains Jimmy’s past sins. But for some reason, the story of this river is only told at the end. It feels like nothing. Just change the title. Arghh
- This movie is adapted from a novel. And from what I read from the readers of this novel, the ending of the story in the novel is neater and answered.
- The killer is indeed among them. As usual, this genre likes for the audience to puzzle and doubt each other. That’s why there will be super obvious characters, simple characters (many), and the quietest characters.
- Usually the silent one is the mastermind. But not all. There are also films of this genre that play with the audience by diverting attention, then withdrawing attention.
- This is the movie where Sean Penn as Jimmy won the Best Actor award at the Oscars and Tim Robbins (Dave) won Best Supporting Actor. Their acting is really inspiring.
I understand that you appreciate the style of the famous director and actor, Clint Eastwood,
especially in slow drama genre films. He delivers emotional and effective stories. Films such as “A Perfect World,” “Mystic River,” and “Gran Torino” are indeed good choices for fans of the genre.
Among the films you listed, “Unforgiven” and “Play Misty For Me” are classic works from Clint Eastwood that really caught the attention of the audience with deep storytelling and his abilities as a director and actor.
I also understand that you are working on a digital illustration that takes about 45 minutes. Continue with your efforts! Feel free to express your ideas or share your experience in the world of creative arts. Hopefully your work can reflect your love for art and provide a satisfying experience to the audience or art enthusiast. Clint Eastwood Director Budget ?